How We're Governed
Elder—a biblical model for church leadership
Throughout the New Testament, principles of church leadership point to a central theme: plurality. The church is to be led by a plurality of godly leaders. By relying on consensual agreement of godly Elders selected from the congregation, the church creates healthy checks-and-balances of leadership direction, financial accountability, spiritual guidance, and ministry implementation.
Our goal is to allow the Elders to focus their gifts and time on their biblical mandate to lead and shepherd the church. In doing so, this allows ministry staff the opportunity to maximize their gifts and talents as they lead their ministries and make practical decisions on how to implement and carry out the direction provided by the Elders.
Duties of Elder
The tasks and responsibilities of the Elders vary greatly and require discernment as the board strives to keep the church on its biblical course. The Elder board tackles key issues facing the church. These include:
- Discerning the overall vision and future direction of the church.
- Creating policies to define clearly church values and biblical operating procedures.
- Ensuring the church’s teachings and practices reflect accurate biblical theology.
- Providing avenues for pastoral care, conflict resolution, discipline, and restoration.
- Providing direction on financial or risk-management issues.
Providing accountability to the lead pastor, to ensure the vision and values determined by the Elders are being carried out.
Elder Oversight of Church Life
– Ministry Goals & Objectives: Jamie Schisler & Dustin Bowden
– Missions & teaching: Brian Johnson & Steve Snowball
– Building & Land: Steve Snowball & Jamie Schisler
– Discipleship & Prayer: Candy Harmon & Brian Johnson
– Operations & Volunteerism: Mike Stedman & Candy Harmon
– Data Analytics & Small Groups: Dustin Bowden & Candy Harmon
A Board of Elders candidate must be active in the life of North Church for at least two years prior to their selection to the Board and fully subscribe to the organization’s mission and values and satisfies the biblical qualifications as listed below—
General Biblical References for Qualification and Function —
1 Pet. 5:1 - 4; Acts 20: 28 –31; 1 Timothy 3:1 - 11; Titus 1:9; James 5:14; Romans 13
Elder Candidate Recommendation
Please take a few minutes and read the below description, duties, and qualifications of an elder.
And please take the following into consideration:
— All recommendations must be received by 10/28/2018.
— No candidate may recommend themselves.
— Current North Church Staff are not eligible for recommendation.